Saturday, November 20, 2010

Queen Street Shoppers, Vignette No. 5

6x6 oil on board
Sold to some wonderful people from Conneticut
I am really enjoying doing these small scenes. I have spent so much time lately trying to learn how to paint light and reflections, focusing on values, edges and color harmony. So much of the work I do is focused on learning so I pick my subjects very carefully. In contrast, with these small paintings, I just pick a scene I like and paint it (hopefully incorporating all of the lessons I have been learning).
In this Vignette, shoppers cross Queen Street on a late Saturday. The store "Cards and Presents" and "The Healthy Greek" are on the opposite side of the street.

5 comments:

myra anderson said...

beautiful! i love it!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

You paint the light exquisitely, Catherine. I like everything about this.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Catherine, you have painted this so beautifully! Love the light and those cool shadows. The figures and their reflections lend a tension in the composition!

Gwen Bell said...

Love this composition and those great long shadows! The green bag brings the eye to the center in such a pleasing way.

mary maxam said...

look at that hot, green, lightstruck purse! super...