Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Value Study, York and Queen Toronto

18x18 Oil on Stretched Canvas
I did this painting using the same color palette as the previous posting. I still find myself looking at details when I'm doing a painting. I want to be able to look at the whole and not the details and colors of the objects in the paintings.Using a limited palette helps me focus on values and edges. I think it takes a lot of "self training" and "looking" to see what is happening in the whole picture. There are times when I am tempted to go back to painting more illustrative and realistic  but I have set a goal for myself, and I need to try to reach it.


8 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Catherine, it's beautiful, cohesive and sophisticated. Great piece.

Marie Theron said...

Catherine, I was amazed when I saw the detail in your previous paintings from a few years back. One always wants to change and grow and I am impressed by what you are achieving here with limited color and limited light! Lovely atmospheric work!

Anonymous said...

I really like this one, Catherine! Beautiful colors, composition and shapes that hold together so well.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Catherine, I too have the same problem and am trying to overcome it!
You have done well in this painting.Love the dark values of the buildings and the light in the center which has created interest. The depth is wonderful!!

myra anderson said...

I love the way you have used basic tones and yet created a very dramatic painting! Even if you go back and forth between doing paintings with more detail or less - the results will still be great!

Jan Yates, SCA said...

Self discipline goes a long way in art making and I wholeheartedly agree--it's just as important to leave out as it is to include, and judging / comparing the difference is the challenge. You've achieved that in the whole of your work and kudos to you for your integrity!

Edward Burton said...

Great painting, Catherine. The light and dark contrast makes a bold statement. Beautiful.

Gwen Bell said...

This one hit me like a hammer...stunningly beautiful light and reflection! Love the way the light travels the entire height of the canvas. Dramatic and delightful!