Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cars and Tracks, Richmond Street, Toronto

11x14 Oil on Stretched Canvas

I recently bought Richard Schmid's book called "Alla Prima, Everything I know about Painting". I haven't taken much time to read it yet, but being disappointed with my tendency to tighten up in my painting method, I thought it was time to try something new. I have been trying some monochrome pictures to work on value. In  his book, I read a method he uses for starting a picture called Monochrome block in.. Starting on a white surface, you draw in the shapes and values using a warm color thinned with turpentine. I chose Transparent Red Iron Oxide (a color I use often).  You do a nearly complete value study. As he puts it, "you can work out all the problems in value, drawing, and edges without worrying about color-then do the finished painting on top of it with opaque paint." He recommends doing the over painting using paint with the consistency as it comes from the tube rather than thinning it. I chose a subject that has strong shapes and values. The small  picture shows some of the value study with some opaque paint added in the cars and some of the road .The top picture shows the finished picture. You do not wait for the value study to dry, but start painting on top while it is wet. I really liked this method, and will certainly do it again.

9 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA said...

Nice work--I like that it isn't centered--and the car in foreground really punches up the composition/perspective. Some really beautiful passages here. As hard as you've worked, you make it look effortless! Thanks also for sharing your process :-)

Molly said...

I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
<3

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

CJ, Your block in is almost as awesome as the finished painting. I am inspired to try to do this same method. I have the book too, but had forgotten about this technique. Good post!

magicmyst said...

Definately a good idea idea working in values to begin a painting. It gives you everything important at the beginning. I almost like your tonal picture the best. Well done. Kay

Ramesh Jhawar said...

WOW! This is absolutely amazing Catherine! Its always good and exciting to learn something new and different from other experienced painters :)

Edward Burton said...

Great technique - it looks fantastic, Catherine!

Anonymous said...

stunning work!
Schimd gives some useful advice in his book and you have clearly taken it. i do a monochrome block in everytime i start a painting: it gives me time to really study the subject and make decisions for the final painting.

Unknown said...

This is great painting . I was amazed with the results on my small blogger dashboard window.I had to visit your blog and check this painting.

Linny D. Vine said...

Exceptional, Caherine! (Thanks for sharing your process on this one, too.)