Sunday, January 12, 2014

Night Rain on King Street, Toronto

36x36 Oil on canvas
I've starting working on some larger pieces for The Artist Project, a show that starts in February. I am always surprised at how much time is taken up over holiday times with family and other visiting. And of course, the studio clean up and re organization after the show in December. It seems to take a month to get back on track. I was able to get some great pics in Toronto in December during a nasty weather event of rain, snow, and wind. Perfect conditions for reflections and interesting colours.
With this painting, I used  the palette I've used in the last few paintings: Titanium white, Alizarin crimson, ultrmarine blue, viridian, cadmium yellow, cad red,  and a couple of cooler yellows that I found at the back of a drawer.
This scene features the Sun Life Building on King Street West. And of course there are streetcars, a hotdog stand, and snow banks piled on sidewalks.

4 comments:

AK said...

Love the reflections Katherine.

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Thank you AK.

Barbara Muir said...

Love this, and I sold a painting to a client in that building, so love it doubly!

It's really hard when events take you away from your work. Good luck with the show. This is beautiful.

XOXOXO Barbara Happy New Year!

Karen Werner said...

Wow! The color here is just electric! So beautiful. And all the straight lines make the overall design seem faceted like a jewel! I bet this is stunning full size!!!