Friday, July 31, 2015

Late Afternoon After The Snow, Bay and Queen

24 x 30 oil on cradled panel
I almost had this painting ready to recoat with gesso when I decided to take another go at it. The original painting was very "brown". I was using a lot of transparent red oxide at the time I did the painting and I have since taken it completely out of my colour palette. I am not a big fan of orange unless I can control the coolness or warmness of it. I mix most of my oranges and browns with alizarin, cad yellow dark, and blue (with touches of white as needed.)
This was an extremely challenging picture, as so many urban street scenes can be. It is all about what to leave out of the details and what to accentuate.My brain definitely is on overdrive with all the decisions to be made, as with all paintings.

No comments: