Monday, May 12, 2014

Acrylics or oils? What is your preference?

Moonlight Cat 16 x 20 Acrylic on canvas
Every now and then I need an acrylic fix. I spent several years painting realistically using acrylic paints.When I decided I needed a change and wanted to paint more spontaneously and "looser" I decided to switch back to oils. It has been quite a journey. I love oils and how they can be blended and smooshed around. But sometimes I feel I stop focusing on strong values and composition, and for some reason I return to acrylics to change my focus. I don't know why I find it easier to maintain values with acrylics. They seem to allow themselves to a more graphic deisgn sense and its easier to keep the dark values dark.
When I painted this cat on a piano (several years ago), I painted the notes to the Moonlight Sonata on the music sheet. And I enjoyed it!
What do you prefer? Oil or acrylic?

8x10 acrylic on board

3 comments:

Kim Blair said...

I like both. The buttery quality of oils that allow one to blend and play is so lovely, but I also enjoy the fast drying properties of acrylics when doing abstract work.
Nice to dabble in both...

magicmyst said...

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for stopping by my blog recently. It was great to hear from you. I have been very slack in keeping it updated and posting etc. I love your acrylic cat. I agree that both mediums are very different. I have been enjoying some oils recently and it is nice the way the paint slides across the canvas and mixes on the canvas but acrylics are much more controlled. I think I am leaninhg towards oils.

Diana Marshall said...

I too spent several years painting with acrylics, but I have to say oils for me, win hands down.