Friday, February 8, 2013

Left Over Paint

"Jessah" 11 x 13 Oil on board
Its a good thing my daughter doesn't read my blog because this painting doesn't totally resemble her. Sometimes when I finish a large painting, I want to try something looser with the left over paint on my palette. I used some ultramarin blue, terra rosa, yellow ochre, and white. I put a photo on my computer monitor and I tried to keep it quick and loose while painting, starting with paint mixed with thinner and adding some thicker as I went along.
My daughter loves hats and I don't know where she finds all of the interesting ones that she wears. This photo was taken when she was tree planting in the mountains and had her hair in dreads.

3 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Catherine,

How strange that I posted a picture of a girl yesterday from my blog with a fur parka on, and you painted your daughter. This is beautiful --mine if just an iPad drawing. I didn't know about yours, but something about the snow put us on a wavelength. I love this portrait. Do more.

XO Barbara

Barbara Muir said...

That should say is just an iPad drawing.

XO Barbara

Linda said...

This is a beautiful painting.