Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Orange and Blue, King Street, Toronto


24 x24 oil on canvas
This painting was quite a bit more complicated than I planned on. I think I will have to tackle the foreground when I have a bit more energy. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of brush work showing. Getting dramatic brush work is a challenge for me. I don't know if it is fear of putting it on nice and thick and having it look horrible, or maybe just not knowing how. Blogs, besides being entertaining are such a good source of information. I have discovered so much about art by watching  process videos and by discovering new artists from blog lists. Another artist I hope to learn from is Barry John Raybould. He has a virtual art academy that looks very interesting.  In the introduction to his brushwork course he says:
"Brushwork is another of those things (like hue changes across a form) that separates the really great painters from the rest of us. Exciting brushwork adds interest and vitality to your painting, and is what makes a painting a “painting” and not a photograph.  
On another note, I submitted a small painting to DailyPaintWorks challenge. The theme for this week is "Home" and I don't think anything says home like a porch, a wicker couch, and a cat curled up in his favorite spot. All of the proceeds from the sale of this painting will go to the Red Cross in Japan. To see the entries for the challenge and to bid on a painting go HERE


4 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

Glad i was sitting down-my mouth dropped and stayed that way as this painting came up-hope you don't do anything with it re adjusting, and i hope you don't mind me saying this but it really, to me, has a mysterious Edward Hopper feel to it--something about the lone taxi on the left evokes a story

i agree it is good to put work aside and get back to it when our outlook is a little more objective-process is such a balancing act!-takes some time to immerse and integrate with the work-then to 'snap out of it' in order to regain perspective and objectivity--balance is everything and this painting has a beautiful balance

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Beautiful work yet again! Nice contrasts of light/dark and warm/cool colors!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Hi Jan
Thanks for your insightful input. I am always honoured to have my work compared to Hopper. I was trying to think of a title that would suggest a story, re:the lone taxi, but my brain wasn't working that way after painting all day.
Hi Ramesh Thanks for the positive comments.

shirley fachilla said...

I really like that empty foreground. I wouldn't change a thing.