Thursday, December 10, 2009

First Snow, Dundas On


8x10 Oil on Canvas
We definitely had a major weather change. We didn't get this much snow. Merely a dusting which may not last. I mentioned Richard Schmid in an earlier posting. I was able to find one of his  books in the library. It is from the 1970's and even then shows the great brush work and style that I aspire to. The book is full of interesting demonstrations and information. I would like to quote one of his passages:
"Trees are endlessly fascinating, and I regard them as almost personal friends. It is always hard to view trees dispassionately, as I must, in order to paint them. I once knew someone who failed utterly as a painter, because he always saw things as things and not as shapes of color.The fellow struggled for years but always kept seeing trees and branches instead of color value, shapes, and edges. Nature must be broken down in this abstract way in order to be interpreted in paint."
This is a lesson that has been difficult for me, but I am making some progress. I love old buildings, architecture, and trees etc. and I always want to paint "them" and all of their wonderful details. But they must be seen as only part of the whole, not as an entitys in themselves. Of course, if one is doing an illustration type picture, its a different story.
This house is in Dundas, down the street from where I live. It is a wonderful place with ginger bread and lots of detail. I tried to make it part of the scene.

10 comments:

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Great job, Catherine. This painting has it all, plenty of strong contrast and nice brushwork.

Sarah said...

Nice one Catherine! I can really feel the biting cold and you're right about the battle between painting the thing and the shape. sometimes, just sometimes, I can get to that place that allows the shapes to be painted while still finding the soul of the piece.
It was -7 here today plus windchill (a LOT of windchill!). I just keep telling myself that it is only a few days to the Solstice, and then the days start to get longer, little milestones!

Anonymous said...

Really nice interpretation of a fresh white snowfall and the dark winter sky. I agree with splynch that while the shapes and values are key, so is the essence of the scene. That essence is what the shapes and values need to evoke in the viewer. You did well here!
Nice new studio space, too!

Unknown said...

Lovely, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Sigh...

Edward Burton said...

Wonderful piece, Catherine - love the composition and shadows.

magicmyst said...

Very fresh, lovely interpretation of shapes and colors and tonal values. Have a wonderful Christmas. It looks like it will be a white one for you, while we have Summer and sun and beach days. Kay

Laurel Daniel said...

Great painting, Catherine! And I love this quote from Richard Schmid... we should all memorize it! :)

Pam Holnback said...

I too love Richard Schmid's teachings. I've read his books, watched his videos, try to follow his advise. He's right, everything is just a bit of value and color.

Mary Anne Cary said...

Great thought to pass on, a good lesson to keep in mind. You live in a great town! Love this house.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

This is a beautiful painting! I like the colors of the sky and the contrasts as well!
P.S. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.