Monday, May 25, 2009

Albacore, Drifting In



8" x 10"
Oil on canvas

Our sailboat "Owl"

I love watching Albacores sail in and out. With no engine as backup, they handle light air drifters or wild windy adventures. On this day, the setting sun brought light breezes with it, and a slow drift home. This Albacore is at the the Hamilton Sailing club, next to Macdonald marine where we keep our boat. Our boat is an old 30' raceboat that my husband and I saved from a certain death at the back of the boat yard. Filled with water, and rotting away, we learned fiber glass skills, and put her back together. I am including a small picture.

1 comment:

Mary Anne Cary said...

Love your painting and love your boat. What lake do you sail on? We have a 32 foot, but we're going to sell it because we have no time (or I should say my husband has no time) (and I'm not skilled!) We traded our J 22 for this, which was a mistake, the J required less time and easier to take in and out on the harbor. Oh well, maybe we'll try again. I just got back from one of the outer islands off the coast, it was beautiful and the sailboats are appearing. Met some people sailing up to Nova Scotia, sounded exciting! I'll send you a picture of the islands!!