Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Red Coat and Strappy Sandals, Yonge Street Toronto

16x20 Oil on Stretched Canvas
I did a 6x6 of this image a while back and wanted to try a larger version. I was attracted to the busy scene and the multitude of colors, especially the young woman with the red coat and sandals. Some Toronto Cabs are turquoise and orange...a strange blend. Also, red is a difficult color to work with. I think I need to find a way to bring the woman more into the foreground. Maybe introduce some yellow lights in the store window since so many of my colors are cool.
I have been busy with family stuff and renovating and so I haven't been around to see new postings, but I hope to stop by soon and see what everyone has been up to!
Click on image for larger view

6 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA said...

please don't touch it Catherine..please please..it's VERY exciting..lively..love it

myra anderson said...

very beautiful!

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Lovely painting Catherine!

Marie Theron said...

Beautiful as all the previous work, Catherine! The people are so vigorous, they may be animated by the cool weather! I must admit that I was keen to add figures to my work, but mostly hesitate to do them. Very nice car paintings, too. I will follow your advice on them one day!

Edward Burton said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Catherine. You paint atmospheric conditions so perfectly. Great composition too.

Montag said...

In all seriousness...

all my life I have heard babble about how sexy automobiles are supposed to be. I did not get it.

That is, not until this painting. I was very surprised to see how the red items of the right affect one's interpretation of the red items on the left, and vice-versa.
I mean, I don't recall anything even in films quite as effective as this balance of "iconic" figures emerging from the wet blue-grey gloom.