Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Gros Horloge, Rouen, France

10 x 8 oil on panel
The city of Rouen in Normandy was another stop along the River Seine during my river cruise in France. It is famous for its large astronomical clock which dates from the fifteenth century. Most of the days were cloudy while I was in France, but on this day some rain fell (conditions I love but I'm sure most people would be disappointed) and created a great mood beneath the clock. As always in France, there was a cafe/restaurant nearby. 
I used the same colour palette I have been using lately: Ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, viridan, Alizarin, terra rosa, cadmium yellow deep, cadmium lemon, cadmium red, titanium white. I normally make my own yellow ochre which seems to be a required colour for stone buildings and the gold colour of the clock.
 

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

Gorgeous!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara