Friday, October 17, 2014

Gooderham Building in Snow

24 x 24 oil on board
I really enjoy how snow changes a scene. Everything seems softer and quieter. I say that I like to convey a mood or atmoshere rather than just painting a picture of a building. Snow is the perfect way to achieve this.
The Gooderham Building is Toronto's Flat Iron Building, nestled at the intersection of Front and Wellington. The photo reference had cars in the foreground, but I left them out to change the feeling when looking at the picture.
I thought this picture would be fun to paint. Actually, it was unbelieveably difficult with so many nuances of hue. I'm not sure if its finished, but I need to leave it for a bit and stare at it from time to time to see what it needs.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

How gorgeous. You are hard on yourself. This is a marvel.

I am glad you say you love snow. Last year it was hard to love, but I will try harder! Your work is my inspiration.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

a WOW!