Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Newspaper Boxes on Front Street

8 x 10 oil on board
This area of Front Street next to St. Lawrence Market has such beautiful lush planters. I liked the mix of colour and reflections of this row of newspaper boxes next to the greenery. Normally I rarely use alizarin crimson because I don't like the "pink" that results from making the darks from a mix of Ultramarine blue and alizarin. In this scene, with the one pink newspaper box, it really seemed to work. I did tone down the dark mix with a touch of transparent oxide red.
There are no planters on Front Street yet. Normally in our area, we don't plant gardens until May 24 to avoid risk of frost. I took this photo last year during a warm misty rain.

2 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Wow, you've captured that kind of day so beautifully!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Catherine,

I like the almost abstract quality of this one. And the pink is lovely. It made me feel proud of Toronto (as so many of your paintings of this city do) -- this time for how many different types of newspapers we have.
Apparently 43% of Canadians are functionally illiterate -- but it looks like Toronto is reading!

Super work.

XO Barbara