Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ice Boats on the Bay, Hamilton

8x10 Oil on Canvas
Its rare that we get ice boats on the bay. Often, when the bay freezes, there is too much snow. Last weekend was perfect. We had cold temperatures after a thaw, and lots of wind. These boats were speeding up and down the bay at incredible speeds, dodging snow areas, and having a great time. I wanted to capture the moment, and not labor too much on details.
Also, I would like to thank everyone for their positive comments on my previous post. For us lonely artists, feedback goes a long way!

11 comments:

myra anderson said...

This is a fantastic painting. I didn't even know there was such a thing as ice boating. Painting is also so educational. When I'm not dancing (in my mind) perhaps I'll go ice boating!

Unknown said...

love the loose feel of the paint. feels like the wind blowing the sails. nice work Catherine!

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to see ice boats in action. I feel I am actually witnessing them scoot down the Bay!

Mary Anne Cary said...

Nice shapes and composition Catherine! Works well!

Edward Burton said...

This is wonderful, Catherine!

Carol Horzempa said...

Ice boating is a popular sport on the lake near my house, so I can really relate to this scene. I love your bush work on the sails. Very nice!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

When this came up on my screen, I had a sharp intake of breath...it almost stopped my heart! So very dramatic, great contrast and wonderful shapes. The sail alone is a masterpiece

Tammy Hext said...

This painting rocks Catherine. I feel like if I blink the boats are going to sail right out of the picture - way to go.

W drodze... said...

I love your paintings :) I'm happy that I found your blog. With my best wishes
Ula

Tammy Hext said...

Hi Catherine - I have awarded you the Sunshine Blog award. Drop by my blog to collect it . Happy painting!

Gwen Bell said...

Gorgeous! Love the strong light reflection in the water and the way it pops up on that sail giving it a great transparent look. And you know I am loving that texture underneath it all!