Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spring Flowers, Toronto

8 x 8 oil on panel
I'm jumping ahead a bit, anticipating early spring flowers. I thought this scene would be easy to do, but the cascading flowers proved to be fairly difficult. Often, its about what to leave out, not what to put in. Too much detail takes away from the shape of the flowers as they hang down.
I love this area of Toronto south of the University. There are interesting old homes in various states of disrepair, brightly painted and often overgrown. Chestnut trees line some of the streets. I happened to be there last year in early spring with a soft light coming through the clouds. I believe this area is called Grange Park.

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

Love this cascade -- a week ago we were holding out breath, but the warm weather makes us hope. Gorgeous painting Catherine.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara