Thursday, August 21, 2014

11 x 14 oil on canvas
I'm having some fun doing quick paintings (under three hours) and adding some colour. I often use a limited palette to achieve a dark moody look, but I decided to brighten things up a bit. This scene had a lot of turquoise blue in it so I found a tube of cobalt teal in a paint drawer and added that. Its more difficult maintaining proper values with more colour (for me anyway). I will look at the same scene in black and white to make sure I am not deviating from my value sketch.
This scene is at Queen and Yonge and features the pathway above Queen Street.

1 comment:

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

Hey Catherine I am really liking these past few small works! As far as which one of these two, no surprise, I prefer the top-the nuances, gradations, atmosphere are very intriguing-i can get lost in it-(in a Good way!). that is what makes art so great-it evokes different responses from different people-!