Friday, December 16, 2011

Toronto Streetcar, Snow on Queen

8x10 oil on stretched canvas SOLD
The atmospheres and scenes that I choose to paint require the use of gray tones. I have been creating grays using different mixes. For this painting I used ultramarine blue mixed with transparent iron oxide for the main color scheme, and added white, cadmium red, and yellow ochre for highlights.
I purchased James Gurney's book "Color and Light". There is so much info in it, it is mind boggling. In his section on Grays and Neutrals he says "Grays or neutrals are the opposite of intense colors. We sometimes associate grays with blandness or dullness, but they are actually an artist's best friend. More paintings fail because of too much intense color rather than too much gray,"
Passengers board a Toronto streetcar on this blizzardy day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with James Gurney. Your painting is remarkable, with its interesting grays and pops of color. Thank you for mentioning your mixtures.

Barbara Pearn said...

I love the colour. I find myself drawn to very neutral images with one dominant colour. I can imagine the cold.

Mary Anne Cary said...

Glad you are back Catherine, sorry about your mom. But I am glad you were able to spend the time, you made the right choice, that is time you can never get back, but paints will always be there. Besides, it looks like you didn't miss a beat and have picked up where you left off, easily!!

myra anderson said...

fantastic!

Melody Madden said...

Catherine, just found your work online and wanted you to know I find it absolutely gorgeous. I was born and raised in Toronto and seeing your work makes me feel like I'm home.

Montag said...

Thank heavens for all that snow on Queen St. and somebody like you to record it!

Diana Marshall said...

Brrr this scene looks chilly and I can imagine being there and feeling the snow falling.
I have been contemplating buying the book you mentioned, now I will definately have to!