Friday, October 1, 2010

Gooderham Building, Toronto

8x10 Oil on Board
I'm still working with a limited palette, focusing on values. Often a black and white value study will have lots of drama, and then when color is added to the mix, the drama can disappear and the picture flattens out. I want to make the transition from "monochrome" drama to having the same effect using color. Its basically maintaining the strong value patterns using color, which is a lot more difficult.
Click here to go to ebay auction.

9 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I continue to find these rain paintings beautiful. They are full of atmosphere and mystery. Well done!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Wonderful, CJ! I love the way those buildings in the background disappear into the fog.

You are so right about values, they make or break the painting.

Johanna Spinks said...

Amazing what a limited palette can do...such a richness here. Great compostion too.

Edward Burton said...

I love how the building really stands out against the atmospheric surroundings - very bold.

Tammy Hext said...

This is my new favorite - stunning.
T

mary maxam said...

strong, beautiful composition.great atmosphere once again

red-handed said...

I think it keeps its restraint quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

That is excellent, makes me wish I was in that scene!

Anonymous said...

This is really nice, as are so many of the others I've missed until now. You've been busy!
I like the subtle colors everywhere but on the building. It's true how strong color can disrupt the balance of values. Always more to learn!!