Friday, October 1, 2010

Gooderham Building, Toronto

8x10 Oil on Board
I'm still working with a limited palette, focusing on values. Often a black and white value study will have lots of drama, and then when color is added to the mix, the drama can disappear and the picture flattens out. I want to make the transition from "monochrome" drama to having the same effect using color. Its basically maintaining the strong value patterns using color, which is a lot more difficult.
Click here to go to ebay auction.

9 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I continue to find these rain paintings beautiful. They are full of atmosphere and mystery. Well done!

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Wonderful, CJ! I love the way those buildings in the background disappear into the fog.

You are so right about values, they make or break the painting.

Portrait Painting By Johanna Spinks said...

Amazing what a limited palette can do...such a richness here. Great compostion too.

Edward Burton said...

I love how the building really stands out against the atmospheric surroundings - very bold.

Tammy Hext said...

This is my new favorite - stunning.
T

mary maxam said...

strong, beautiful composition.great atmosphere once again

red-handed said...

I think it keeps its restraint quite nicely.

Toemailer said...

That is excellent, makes me wish I was in that scene!

diddamsdigitalart said...

This is really nice, as are so many of the others I've missed until now. You've been busy!
I like the subtle colors everywhere but on the building. It's true how strong color can disrupt the balance of values. Always more to learn!!