Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Saturday shopping 2"


11" x 14"
Oil on Canvas
Sometimes I look at a painting(posting May 29) and wonder how I could have thought it was finished. Especially if I leave it near the easel. I think, what the heck was I doing? How could I have thought this was done or in any way an adequate painting? Many times when I leave a painting, thinking its done, its out of fear. Fear of messing it up, fear of painting a certain subject, fear of failure. The tree in the picture was mostly branches and not much foliage yet, so I decided to leave it out rather than paint it. I guess a combination of lack of experience painting trees, and fear. The painting needed the tree. So, I put it in. A nice green one. I think it works better. Any comments would be appreciated, positive or negative. Sometimes others see what we can't.
I hear often that artists want to paint looser, more spontaneous. This is where the smaller canvases come into play. I am much more free with the paint on the 6 X 6 size than the larger ones. I am hoping to be able to transfer this freedom to a larger picture. I have to repeat this again...its that fear that gets in the way.

4 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

I think the tree works really well at holding the eye right there at the market bins. Good for you. No more fear!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

I vote for the tree! It looks great. I know just what you mean about fear and painting loose. I, too have been lured by 5x7 and 6x8 panels for the last year or two. I find the longer it goes on, the harder it is to do larger paintings. I so enjoy the instant results of small projects and get bogged down with larger ones!

Mary Anne Cary said...

I have to say that I really like both Catherine. They each have a different feeling. Without it seems like a cold gloomy day, with the tree feels more like a summer shower kind of day. I like the fading lamp lights without, there is an atmosphere about it. It is good to have input, because I think sometimes it's just too hard to be objective about our own work.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Your post hit a chord with me. I sometimes do smaller paintings for the sake of learning. If I'm happy with them, I try and transfer them to large canvases. But it's so hard to be spontaneous when they're large! I love the sense of atmosphere you project in your paintings!